The crypt of the Spirito Santo is one of Monopoli’s must see sites. It’s an extraordinary example of hypogeum rock architecture that testifies to the carving skills of local workers, experts in quarrying. The era of its construction is doubtful and could be around the 12th-13th centuries AD: however despite its very ancient origins, the church is still in perfect condition today.
The sacredness of the place, the fascinating system of mystical beliefs that it bears signs of, the suggestions derived from its isolated position in the heart of the countryside, have over the centuries fuelled its fame and legends, making it an authentic cultural treasure.
In order to visit it the Municipality of Monopoli organizes scheduled openings throughout the year, which can be attended with or without a reservation. In July and August 2021, 3 weekly openings are scheduled on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 5pm to 7pm.
On each of these days, visits are organized as follows:
- During the opening hours there are a maximum of 4 guided tours every 30 minutes.
- The duration of each visit (includes both the internal and external site) lasts 20 minutes.
- Tours are organized for groups of up to 10 participants.
- The cost of the guided tour is €4 (minimum 2 participants).
- Admission without a guide is free of charge and allowed during the opening hours of the church, during the breaks between guided tours.
- The church can also be visited during the “Monopoli Rurale in Bicicletta” tour (available on request at one of the Monopoli Info-points)
📍 Piazza Garibaldi, 24
📍 Largo Stazione (Railway Station)